The Following Breaks are Filling Now, Click the Links Below to Purchase your Spots.

Who is your Favorite Sports Commentator.

Anything regarding sports goes in here.

Who is your Favorite Sports Commentator.

Postby Subterfuge » 2012-Feb-Sun-12-02

Some idle chat between me and the godfather of 643 has tweaked an interest in who your favorite color guys and broadcasters were.

For any sport, but for me its all about the hockey.

I miss Bob Cole and Harry Neale calling all the leaf games together. I think i remember foster hewitt calling the games but i wasnt into hockey that young.
for blue jay games i kinda like how buck martinez adds his 2 cents.
for buffalo sabre games, well that guy needs to be speared in the throat so he can never speak again.
and I DESPISE Pierre Mcquire. hes just an annoying bald headed little freak.
My Ebay - Please use this link when buying teams, bookmark it! and Breaks and Videos, come chat with us and watch live breaks on breakers.tv/643boxbreaks My Newest Project www.breakninja.com Awesome Checklist Site for all Sports Cards.
Subterfuge

Re: Who is your Favorite Sports Commentator.

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Feb-Sun-12-02

I grew up in Chicago, hating the cubs but loving listening to a half drunk (most days) Harry Carey and Steve Stone on WGN.

I really prefer hockey these days, but to me nothing beats some of the comical back and forth that would ensue as Steve Stone would try REALLY hard to keep Harry focused on the ballgames when the cubs were bad and losing everyday.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Subterfuge » 2012-Feb-Sun-12-02

oh yeah lol, Harry Carey. that guy was hilarious, in a weird slurring kinda way.
My Ebay - Please use this link when buying teams, bookmark it! and Breaks and Videos, come chat with us and watch live breaks on breakers.tv/643boxbreaks My Newest Project www.breakninja.com Awesome Checklist Site for all Sports Cards.
Subterfuge

Postby teeks643 » 2012-Feb-Sun-01-02

This is mostly going to be a re-run for Subterfuge from our text conversation but here are a few of my thoughts if you care to hear them:

It doesn't get much better than tonight listening to Bob Cole calling the Battle of Ontario on Hockey Night in Canada. It just really brought me back to my childhood watching Leafs games with my pops on Saturday night, enjoying Mom's home-made pizza (we often still do this nowadays). Sure Bob Cole is confused a lot of the time - or 10 seconds behind the play, but he just has that nostalgic great voice for hockey.

There really are very few commentators that I can tolerate - much less like. But I do not mind Gord Miller on TSN.

One guy I absolutely cannot stand is Glenn Healy. As I vented to Mike, EVERY LAST COMMENT from Glenn Healy's headset is negative. He is only pointing out things that players do wrong and is just way to critical and makes for a depressing feel while trying to enjoy a game.

Now this is something that I have thought and hoped for almost as long as I can remember, but WHY in this day and age can we not have an option to listen to the game without any commentary at all? Now I've brought up this question a time or two before with buddies or whomever and there is always the moron who suggests "it's called the mute button" but I still love the sounds of the rink (or ball park). They have the Español button for those who want to listen in Spanish, why not a button for no commentator at all? That would be absolutely GLORIOUS in my opinion as I do not need someone telling me who has the puck or what they should have done with it. Sure, sometimes it's nice to listen to a great call of a scoring play (Joe Bowen's HOLY MACKINAW What a shot by Kessel), but really throughout the course of a game I spend so much time cringing at what these guys are saying (perhaps just as you guys are as you read this post).
teeks643
Website Admin

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Feb-Sun-02-02

teeks643 wrote:Now this is something that I have thought and hoped for almost as long as I can remember, but WHY in this day and age can we not have an option to listen to the game without any commentary at all?

I've wondered this many times too. This a a brilliant marketing idea waiting to happen, but it probably never will because it is an idea from fans about something that in general non-fans control. Sigh.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby teeks643 » 2012-Feb-Sun-02-02

And for those that like to just write-off new ideas without trying it - there was a stretch of time when most of CBC was on strike (or something like that - the commentators were not working anyway) and CFL games and NHL games were without Play-By-Play for a while and it was indeed amazing.
teeks643
Website Admin

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Feb-Sun-02-02

that would have been GLORIOUS.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Golfnut77777 » 2012-Feb-Sun-11-02

Last edited by Golfnut77777 on 2012-May-Thu-09-05, edited 1 time in total.
My Photo Bucket

My Twitter: @Golfnut77777
MY EBAY
Golfnut77777

Postby teeks643 » 2012-Feb-Sun-12-02

And while I don't necessarily think he is an excellent commentator, but MLB Playoffs just are not the same without Joe Buck.

As far as Baseball goes, I am a big stats guy so I don't mind the commentators so much, as there is a lot of time in between for good conversation and stories. The problem is that most of the guys having those conversations are awful.
teeks643
Website Admin

Postby teeks643 » 2012-Feb-Sun-04-02

This thread reminded me of a story about Jamie Campbell (who was the voice of the Jays up until a couple of years ago).

The trip itself from this story was incredible, so I'll save that "trip story" for another time and focus this on just the details involving Jamie Campbell.

My best buddy had just graduated from University so we decided to celebrate by heading down to Kansas City as the Jays just so happened to be in town for a 4-game series the following week (it started out as all of the best road trips do, by joking that the Jays are in KC next week, we should go "haha", then one guy looks into it and a few days later you are on the road).

So Sportsnet was covering the first 3 games of the Series which meant Jamie Campbell in the booth for the Jays. We showed up to Kauffman Stadium as the gates opened every day, as we had nothing better to do anyway, and our first order of business was to make our way behind the home plate area and call up "Jay-ME!" to which he would look down, we would salute our hats, and he would give a very excited wave back. It was always a great way to start game day. We ended off each game by being the last ones out of the park and the same salute to Campbell and his broadcast partner on the way out of the park.

Well at the end of game 3, I knew that Sportsnet would be packing up and heading out of town so I had to try and leave a lasting impression on Jamie. As the park cleared out, I made my way directly beneath the broadcast booth and got his attention. We started a conversation, the classic "where are you guys from" and "oh, that's awesome that you made the trip down, good times" etc. Well I then boldly asked Jamie Campbell if I could have his tie. I don't remember exactly why that was the object I was hoping to acquire, but I'm sure there was a running joke between me and my buddies. Anyway, so Jamie's response was to pretend to rip it off, crumple it in his hands and toss it down, but then he explained that this particular tie was his favourite one and that he had one back at the hotel that he would have gladly given away (should have asked after game 1!). He was very nice about it, and we had a good laugh, and he actually tossed me down the KC Royals media guide for that year. It was about the size of a small encyclopedia and it was pretty cool to discover that it had notes that he had scribbled in it during the broadcasts of the previous 3 games.

Fast forward a few months and Stefanie's brother was getting married in British Columbia. Low and behold the Blue Birds had a 3 game set against the Mariners the following week, so I stuck around and took a bus down to Seattle as Stefanie had to get back to work in Winnipeg (Dubs88 actually joined me on this trip and this is another great story for another time).

So before game one I surprised Jamie with the familiar "Jay-ME!" and salute. He could not believe the same nut from Kansas City was now at Safeco in Seattle, but he seemed to love it all the same (the second picture below is a full scale shot that Dubs captured of the salute, me in the #49 Accardo jersey <- yes, I said Accardo... that's yet another story, and Jamie Campbell just above the big "M")

So after the 3 games in Seattle, I called up to Jamie and made the motion of a tie down my chest. He immediately laughed, obviously recalling the request I made in Kansas City. Well wouldn't you know it the next thing I know Jamie Campbell is leaning over the side of the broadcast booth, tie in hand, aiming for my glove. The next 3 shots are a nice sequence of pictures, first of Campbell aiming the toss to my awaiting glove, the next one has the Tie in mid flight, and finally Dubs and I posing with our prizes (his was a home run ball to the right field bleachers off the bat of one of the Mariners during Batting Practice).

The best part of it all is that we closed the place down, and met Jamie Campbell himself in the hallway as we were exiting the stadium. This was just one of the best/funniest memories of my life. I hope those of you that stuck it out to read the novel enjoyed it!

teeks643
Website Admin

Next

Return to General Sports Chat