The Following Breaks are Filling Now, Click the Links Below to Purchase your Spots.

Vancouver Sports Collectors Show coming April 11th & 12th

Anything regarding sports goes in here.

Re: Vancouver Sports Collectors Show coming April 11th & 12t

Postby teeks643 » 2014-Apr-Fri-11-04

I believe Shane will be at the show tonight, and then the two of us are going to head in tomorrow to meet up with you guys.

So far the plan is to meet at the show and spend the afternoon there, and then head out for dinner together afterwards? I am thinking we should arrive between 11:00 and Noon. I have PJ & Zac's cell #s so I'll text you guys to keep you posted.
teeks643
Website Admin

Postby Eldonko » 2014-Apr-Fri-11-04

Ok nice, Ill bring some cards Ive been holding for grading.
teeks643 wrote:
Eldonko wrote:I see Beckett will be there. Do you think they will be taking grading orders?

Ya, last year they were if I recall correctly. I think there was also a KSA guy on site who was doing grading.
Henrique PC, please let me know if you have something I dont! -> http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Eldon ... rique%20PC
Eldonko

Postby shanedawg2k12 » 2014-Apr-Fri-11-04

Yeah, the KSA/DNA guy is there for the 2 big shows every year. Usually there's a COMC rep around too, although he's convinced Teeks & I are brothers. :) COMC typically does a "show special" for people not using the site yet.

Tonight Trevor Linden is still scheduled to appear. Impressive with the gargantuan news out of Canuckville this week! Tomorrow now has both Pavel Bure & Gino Odjick attending.

The local AHL team, the Abbotsford Heat, also typically has a booth set up to promote the team. If so, former Stanley Cup winner Ryan Walter might sneak in and sign autographs/let people try on his Cup ring.

I have my son's jersey at the ready for tonight and have to carry it around tomorrow too. :) He's not coming tomorrow so us adults can do adult stuff. :D
shanedawg2k12

Postby Bluenoze87 » 2014-Apr-Fri-11-04

I enjoy adult stuff!
My eBay page, if I have anything listed?!?! http://bit.ly/L4WqKq
Bluenoze87
643 Box Breaker

Postby Eldonko » 2014-Apr-Fri-11-04

The cards I want graded will have to be sent to beckett so Im hoping they offer that service in addition to the raw review. I have some old RCs I got graded 20 years ago by a company that no longer exists. I want to get those regarded and slabbed by beckett. If they offer a show discount and save me the shipping to texas Im in.
Henrique PC, please let me know if you have something I dont! -> http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Eldon ... rique%20PC
Eldonko

Postby shanedawg2k12 » 2014-Apr-Wed-11-04

After a long day and lots of chuckles --and a few headshakes at one of the worst box breaks ever witnessed, a bunch of us "retired" to a local pub for refreshments. Admittedly, we all grunted and groaned as we settled in our chairs. :)

And we should really talk about how bad that break was! Ha!

Pic goodness (L-R Steven (Peanut), Zac, Shane, Ty the Godfather, & PJ):
shanedawg2k12

Postby teeks643 » 2014-Apr-Wed-11-04

I had an awesome time at the show and it was great to meet Zac, PJ and Steve in person for the first time. Great guys for sure and we had a lot of fun hanging out all day.

Some highlights from the show were getting my Trouba Silhouette for $60, and witnessing a guy buying binders full of inserts from one table for $200, walking three tables down and selling them to his "buddy" for $350. He did this twice, once with a couple of insert binders and another time with a tupperware bin full of base sets. It was pretty entertaining to track. Something Phyllis might appreciate is that I picked up a Felix Hernandez bobblehead for the boy's room.

And ahh yes, the Break... a local card shop was putting on a Break of 6 Boxes of the Cup + a bunch of old, awful products.

My favourite parts of the Break:
+ The guy running the Break got Edmonton and Colorado
+ Pulls a Ryan Nugent Hopkins 1/1 Base Parallel "OH MY GOODNESS YOU GUYS, WHAT AN AMAZING HIT" then pulls a Brett Hull/Wayne Gretzky Dual Stick Signatures "Alright, well we'll have to random this card. Nice card."
teeks643
Website Admin

Postby Eldonko » 2014-Apr-Wed-01-04

Thanks for posting the pic, had a great time!

cheers :D
Eldonko

Postby shanedawg2k12 » 2014-Apr-Fri-11-04

The break was horrible. The guy was loud and boisterous about the odd card, but then ignored other juicy ones (like Teeks mentioned above). He was loudest about a case hit for The Cup, which turned out to be a 1-colour patch auto for... Louis Leblanc, I think. Woo.

Upper Deck had supplied the shop with some sweet prizes, plus the show's host offered up a signed Trevor Linden Canucks jersey. The shop had swapped in one of theirs and when the show host said "why not give two away?" the shop owner dropped a brick ;) and quietly shook his head.

With UD providing some prizes, and the shop tweeting UD about the live broadcast of the break, the loud guy actually insulted them at least twice, if not 3 times. One of the old boxes was doubles for all Young Guns (not one big name among them) and this year's Series 2 had a bunch of the no foil error cards, which Loud Guy announced were a premium on eBay and go for big bucks. Not true if you look at the listings.

He had a break helper for the bigger boxes of 24-36 packs, so there's a good chance people didn't get some of their hits if they were lost in the shuffle.

I had to ask twice for my Cup base card --the best card I got in the break. :(
shanedawg2k12

Postby teeks643 » 2014-Apr-Fri-12-04

Ya, nothing quite like Upper Deck generously donating a Helmet signed by the Double Rookie class, then mentioning how horrible Upper Deck is during your Break :shrug:
teeks643
Website Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports Chat