The Following Breaks are Filling Now, Click the Links Below to Purchase your Spots.

2013 World Juniors

Anything regarding sports goes in here.

2013 World Juniors

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Dec-Thu-11-12

So I'm starting this thread for all those who want to talk a little smack or debate or whatever in regards to the WJHC in Ufa. I'd love to hear everyone's picks/thoughts/whatever.....as you know we're a little bit obsessed with Jr's hockey here in Portland.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Re: 2013 World Juniors

Postby Eldonko » 2012-Dec-Thu-12-12

Canada lost today 3-2 to Finland. Team doesnt look like the 2005 dream team people are comparing it to, that's for sure.. Undisciplined, 11 penalties in that game and Subban looks like crap. Hoping Binnasty gets the next start.
Henrique PC, please let me know if you have something I dont! -> http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Eldon ... rique%20PC
Eldonko

Postby Golfnut77777 » 2012-Dec-Thu-01-12

My thoughts are Canada is going to walk all over every team, including the Americans on the 30th until the final. In the final, Canada will lose (most likely to Russia) and Subban will look horrible and that will kill his career.

Subban has looked soft all during the camp and in every game, at least for some part of the game. I don't think he is the goaltender that is going to win it, but for some reason, the coaches are set on him being #1. Unfortunately, I don't think the round robin is going to be hard enough for the coaches to truly see how bad of a goaltender he is.

This is just my opinion. Please don't take any offense.
My Photo Bucket

My Twitter: @Golfnut77777
MY EBAY
Golfnut77777

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Dec-Thu-01-12

OK, so here's some initial thoughts.....

Key (IMO) players/lines/thoughts:

Team Canada

1. Malcom Subban. Much is talked about this kid, Frankly I don't see it and never have. To me this was a political pick and it showed (IMO) this morning in the exhibition game against Finland. Many out west here thought Laurent Broissoit should have made this team, but was crushed in the Memorial Cup last year after standing on his head during the WHL finals Vs. Portland-Subban looked like maybe the 3rd best goalie (if that) in camp, yet gets the nod to start based on past performance. Bad, bad call IMO.

You have a very traditional approach of an OHL coach picking mostly OHL goalies, which is fine IMO because you NEED to know your goaltending......BUT, if Subban can't put it together how long will Team Canada allow it to go before makign the switch to Binnington or perhaps even better Paterson (who is NOT an OHL goalie). This to me may be the most important key to Canada's WJHC gold hopes.

2. The defensive pairing of Wotherspoon/Reinhart. Simply put, Reinhart is THAT talented. The ability of Wotherspoon to continue to be a solid stay at home defender who can make great outlet passes enables Reinhart to be the 4th man in.....and that is gonna be important IMO. Saw a nice glimmer of that today. This pairing to me is the single most capable pairing of dealing with the international game. They have to play spot on.

3. The whole Nuge/Scheif/Rattie hot mess. You already know Nuge and Scheif now, let me welcome you to what hopefully is Ty Rattie's coming out party. Anybody notice how Rattie got double shifted after Ritchie got hurt? There's a reason that Rattie got that assignment....get to know what we already know in Portland.......this kid can flat out skate, create and score. Rattie's game will be enhanced with more space......personally I'd rather see him bumped back down a line to create more effectively for others.

4. Dougie Hamilton. Please get this guy away from Morgan Reilly. This guy has talent and he'll probably be an effective NHL D man, but personally he plays the wrong game for this style of play----especially to be a top D-line pairing with someone of the likes of Reilly. IMO, Reilly's abilities are wasted when having to compensate for Hamilton. Shocker, hamilton takes terrible penalties in exhibition today....now you're shuffling D-lines? imagine that.

Team USA

1. Development Idealogy. The last time the US won gold at WJHC they had something approximating the number of CHL players they have now. The US team is undoubtably fast, can play D and will certainly benefit form the style of officiating that is found at this type of tournament. The real question of idealogy is the development program of the US national U-18, U-17 programs as placed in the USHL. The USHL looks at itself as a development feeder program to the NCAA hockey system, the US U-18 and U-17 teams are now embedded in the USHL. US nat'l teams play reg season USHL games but are inelgible for playoffs and here's the rub: many in the US feel that this model is not the best way to develop players for international or pro careers. These teams get drubbed often by regular USHL teams and while its great IMO to play against bigger, older, wiser, stronger kids sometimes...some people are suggesting that its setting these kids up for competitive failure. I've seen this argued too many times, too many ways and personally I am not knowledgeable enough on player development in this league (USHL) to argue one way or another. I will say based on my limited observations that the USHL brand of hockey is more inline with collegiate and international play but most definitely lacks the same caliber of players found in even a lower tier CHL team. There is an interesting mix of USHL/US national team alums
and major junior players on this team......it will be interesting to see what the final review is of each set of players is. Maybe more importantly though is the future that the US national team goes based on this tournament result and the future politics surrounding roster selection based on player performance.

2. USA D men, without the last name of Jones. This team can play D, can they play an international level transition game? I'm fairly certain Trouba can, what about the rest?

3. Seth Jones. Buddy I hated the fact that you rolled into Portland thinking you could and should do everything on this game. You lost a couple of games for us early by this same said practice. You need to shut your mouth on that whole "I think we're the best team thing" and focus on playing your role on this team. I watched as you learned the hard way that the Winterhawks taught you that the WHL was a big step up from the U-18 team in the USHL that you played for. I love your play now that you've bought into our system and I agree that you're a top 2 pick this year given that I can see you play a role and not try to be everything.....can you do the same in this tourney?

If you see this kid crossing into the offensive zone earlier than 4th man in when not on odd man rushes, the US is in HUGE trouble.

4. Alex Galchenyuk. All that hype......can he score, or maybe more correctly....can he create consistently for players not near his caliber at this level?

5. John Gibson. Kitchener Rangers goalie.....he looks good and smells good with Kitchener....there are many in the US that are literally screaming for a former USHL tender gone college as starter in net named Jon Gillies. This ties back to that whole #1 mess and politics. I personally think Gibson was the right call, but time will tell.

Predicitons:

Group A

Finland
Sweden
Czech

Group B

Russia
Canada
US

Single Elim games

Quarter's
US over Czech
Canada over Sweden

Semi's
Russia over US
Canada over Finland

Finals
Canada over Russia

Bronze
US over Finland
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Bluenoze87 » 2012-Dec-Thu-01-12

Holy crap TJ you should be a scout or something, well if you could get the Portland guys off the pedestals, hahaha, very good write up, like seeing an American pick Canada to win, you're a smart man! GO CANADA GO!
My eBay page, if I have anything listed?!?! http://bit.ly/L4WqKq
Bluenoze87
643 Box Breaker

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Dec-Thu-01-12

Bluenoze87 wrote:Holy crap TJ you should be a scout or something, well if you could get the Portland guys off the pedestals, hahaha, very good write up, like seeing an American pick Canada to win, you're a smart man! GO CANADA GO!

lol, mike has accused me of grading shifts before....and I kinda do. I'm nuts, really I am. I was typing notes as soon as the puck dropped today for Canada-Finland as I was getting Phenex ready for school. Phenex was particularly critical of the officiating today but mostly on what is and isn't an offsides call.

As for team Canada, I think they'll recover and find their legs. It's tough IMO to travel that distance to play an exhibition game on another continent against the "local" team using "their" rules. Alot of talent on this team and I believe that if Subban looks as lost as he did today at times, they'll go a different route in net sooner rather than later....he'll probably cost them a group game (hence not winning group prediciton) and be done.
Last edited by tomschepker on 2012-Dec-Thu-01-12, edited 1 time in total.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Moguai » 2012-Dec-Thu-03-12

Great write up Tj. But I'm gunna have to disagree on your predictions

Mine:
1. Russia
2. Canada
3. USA
Moguai

Postby Bluenoze87 » 2012-Dec-Thu-03-12

I say:
G - Canada
S - Sweden
B - Russia

But I haven't seen anything on any other teams other than Canada at this point
My eBay page, if I have anything listed?!?! http://bit.ly/L4WqKq
Bluenoze87
643 Box Breaker

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Dec-Thu-04-12

OK, some thoughts and +/- evaluations today....and before anybody gets too serious about this....I know, its just exhibitions.

Officiating

In both games I could summarize this in one word: inconsistent. International rules are international rules and players have to adjust to them (e.g., Canada needs to lay off the sticks) but come on this is prep for a world tourney.....call the same crap you called in the first in the second and third.

Team Canada

Hudon:++

Player of the game IMO for team Canada. Very nice open ice skating and the ability to create when others weren't. I hope to see more of this when it counts cause he was a treat to watch today.

Murphy: ++

Voted player of the game for Team Canada. Looked like perhaps the only D-man on the team to not completely blow an assignment at one point or another today. Very solid indeed, should be rewarded with more ice time.

The Nuge: +

Created a nice goal for Scheiffele. Not a defensive liability. Generally played his game well today.

Rattie: +

Played out of position, still trying to figure out why they placed a sniper/playmaker in front of the net, but whatever that's what happens when you get paired with the Nuge and Scheiffele. Had chances, made the right plays at the right times which is WAY, WAY more than can be said about some of his teammates. Double shifted when Ritchie went out and wasn't huffing and puffing like many of his teamates.....conditioning pays dividends.

Reinhart: +

When Hamilton couldn't get it together and play his version of an international game, Reinhart jumped in and did it for him. Good for you kid, nice pursuit goal. Blew an assignment or two, but frankly it looked like it was in relation to Hamilton not moving his feet and trying to react to Hamilton and not so much his own fault.....

Wotherspoon: -

Huh? Who stole our Tyler Wotherspoon? Blew multiple D assignments today.....and that is his bread and butter.

Schieffele: --

Seriously. Pick your head up and make the pass. Nice goal via pass form the Nuge.....but had more than a couple of opportunities today to make passes that could have changed the outcome of the game and just didn't do it. It was bad enough that by the third period the Fins and their goalie were overplaying him a ton.....He had a beaut of a chance in the third period, teammate streaking down the opposite side with an open lane to pass and an open net on that side.....completely obvious he wasn't going to and he shot it right into the chest of the goalie on a pretty sharp angle to score on anyone not named Subban in this tourney. On again, off again defensively today.....looked like he had a 30lb bag of cement in his pants when he didn't have a scoring opportunity.

Subban: --

I'm not gonna pretend I see this guy regularly, but playing that far back in your net is not a way to win hockey games at any level.....forget about the 5-3's, regardless of how he looked on one, the two softies he gave up made him look just like he did in camp, suspect. I was particularly found of how the TSN announcers spun a couple of average saves he made to be "great".

Hamilton: ---

Worst player on the ice, by far IMO for Canada. Looked like a still image on D, took 2 really dumb penalties and failed to produce the offense that has put him on more than a 1 ppg average in the OHL this year. I'm told he'll be fine and he'll bounce back, I'm not sold that you can recover enough from a game like this to really make me care. I think the most telling thing about his play today was that offensive players were anticipating having to step in to pick up his assignments, creating more confusion up front.
Last edited by tomschepker on 2012-Dec-Thu-04-12, edited 1 time in total.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Eldonko » 2012-Dec-Thu-04-12

I'll give the US one thing, Gibson is awesome and the team is fast. However, I dont see them even getting a medal this year though because the competition is really tough.

2 predictions from me:

1) Binnington plays next game and earns the starer role

2) I hate to say this but I think the Russians have to take this tourney again. It is their home turf and the team is stronger than ever.

G Russia
S Sweden
B Canada

BUT, Go Canada!!! I'll be cheering louder than anyone, I live for the WJHC.
Henrique PC, please let me know if you have something I dont! -> http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Eldon ... rique%20PC
Eldonko

Next

Return to General Sports Chat