The Following Breaks are Filling Now, Click the Links Below to Purchase your Spots.

2013 World Juniors

Anything regarding sports goes in here.

Re: 2013 World Juniors

Postby tomschepker » 2013-Jan-Wed-04-01

Hate to admit it but I completely missed the US-Slovakia game...including the replays. Seems I was either sleeping or doing something else whenever it was on :shrug:
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Moguai » 2013-Jan-Wed-05-01

I watched the replay of the game. The US looked pretty good especially their Power Play lines.Slovokia Didn't look bad but seemed they were having big issues trying to keep up with the Americans. End score was 9-3 ( I did miss the last couple of Min. in the 3rd period so my score may be off lol))
Moguai

Postby tomschepker » 2013-Jan-Wed-07-01

USA-Czech

Let me start off by saying this game turned out to be exactly what I hate about short tournament elimination games where one team is completely outclassed by another. The lack of recourse to defend oneself as the team that is very obviously going forward in the tournament against another teams repeated cheap shots without fear of suspensions is a long standing issue in my mind.

I was particularly disgusted by the officiating in this game, can you tell? I deleted 3 paragraphs describing my disgust and outlining the who, what, why and when.

The Czechs had no business even being on the ice with the Americans today, they were outclassed in every aspect of the game. They were a prime example of why big, dumb and slow doesn’t win hockey games. Particularly defective tonight was the Czech goaltending, while having some moments…..they failed miserably time and time again. Americans may need to take this game with a grain of salt, an average WJHC goalie would have stopped atleast half of the US goals tonight and even Subban hasn’t given up as juicy of rebounds as these goalies did today.

Key points
1. Americans put bodies in front of the net consistently.
2. Americans stopped playing that ineffective “hybrid” style PP offense to the tune of something like 5/12 on the PP.
3. Americans had a wicked team defensive game and PK.....probably a result of a super non-competitive Czech team though.
4. 58 total penalty minutes by my count (38 for Czechs)....and could have been atleast 16 more for the Czechs who were completely undisciplined all game.
5. Best play of the game, does not result in a goal…..Hartman to Pietila, OMG-very much worth finding this on a highlight to watch......

POG:
Gaudreau. Hat trick won out over the shut out by Gibson or the fantastic 4 point and mind boggling defensive game put on by Seth Jones. Not a disappointing choice at all.

Hartman: Even, but notable
1 goal and the play of the game, but 2 penalties and at times was capable of being muscled around a bit too much for my taste.

Gibson: +
Got the shutout. Not really thinking this was his strongest game in net but still very solid….he gave up a couple of juicy rebounds, got himself in some bizarre snow angel position variations…..but, he was good enough to win and get the shutout.

Miller:+
3 point night and played much better than in all previous games I have seen him play. Was much more effective in a grinding role as opposed to being expected to create.

Riley Barber:+
2 goals and a nice game overall.

Rocco Grimaldi: +
No points and still trying to figure out how that happened. An A+ for effort and being a firecracker for the US offensively when he was on the ice.

Trouba:++
3 point night and a BEAST again on both ends.

Seth Jones: +++
Yeah, I was all over him for that game against Canada…..to be fair, he may have truly had the best 2-way game of anyone tonight. 4 points, huge defensive plays and played like we expect him to in Portland (well maybe a tad bit more offensive minded than we like normally).

Gaudreau: +++
Hat trick! Yeehaw, he finally showed up! I hear he suddenly started playing like they claim he can against the Slovaks and just kept chugging along today.

Tomorrow……US Vs. Canada should be fun, no more pool play-time to let it all hang out. I’m still calling a Canadian victory, but I think the game will be much more enjoyable.
Last edited by tomschepker on 2013-Jan-Wed-07-01, edited 2 times in total.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Eldonko » 2013-Jan-Wed-04-01

Canada vs. USA and Sweden vs. Russia. Going to be a hell of a QF!
Henrique PC, please let me know if you have something I dont! -> http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Eldon ... rique%20PC
Eldonko

Postby Golfnut77777 » 2013-Jan-Wed-04-01

My predictions for QF's:

Canada 4 US 2
Russia 5 Sweden 2

Setting up the Canada/Russia Final. I hope Russia actually plays to their potential for once this tournament. I think they have relied on "home field" advantage too much and today's game was a wake up call to them IMO.
My Photo Bucket

My Twitter: @Golfnut77777
MY EBAY
Golfnut77777

Postby Eldonko » 2013-Jan-Wed-05-01

I think Sweden is going to kick their **butts** myself. Just like last year.

**EDIT** PG Zac PG ;)
Last edited by Moguai on 2013-Jan-Wed-08-01, edited 1 time in total.
Henrique PC, please let me know if you have something I dont! -> http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Eldon ... rique%20PC
Eldonko

Postby Bluenoze87 » 2013-Jan-Thu-02-01

Just got home after 13hrs of traveling with a 14 month old and I'm considering just staying up until the hockey game in 2hrs, anyone around to chat to keep me awake?
My eBay page, if I have anything listed?!?! http://bit.ly/L4WqKq
Bluenoze87
643 Box Breaker

Postby Golfnut77777 » 2013-Jan-Thu-11-01

Complete and utterly disgusted. That is all I can say.

oh, I can say 1 other thing...

GO USA GO! (Ya, I know Tj, my Canadian Citizenship should be revoked)
My Photo Bucket

My Twitter: @Golfnut77777
MY EBAY
Golfnut77777

Postby Eldonko » 2013-Jan-Thu-11-01

Well Im disappointed but hey not one of us picked Canada for gold I dont think so it was somewhat expected. Now Im going for my pick for gold and ol stompin grounds, Sweden!

Repeat of last year?

Eldonko

Postby tomschepker » 2013-Jan-Thu-12-01

USA-Canada

AKA a tale of two defenses and coaching staffs....or alternatively "US-Canada 2013 WJHC, chapter 2: Speed Kills".

First off, I want to say that I feel badly for Subban. He was screened terribly on the first three goals he gave up and I’ll assert that even a truly great juniors level goalie would have had at best a 50-50 shot at the 4th goal. His denfencemen minus Tyler Wotherspoon played terrible D in front of him and he was a sitting duck. I imagine that by the time I get around to reading on the internet later that he will be crucified for this loss by many and it simply isn’t his fault.

The Canadians were just completely outplayed by the US in this one for about 50 minutes. They came out completely unprepared for an aggressive American team that played amazing D and had a simply fantastic transition game. The Canadian coaching staff failed in preparing of an American team that had made a major adjustment after their last game with Canada. They also failed in coming up with adjustments in time to save this game and as someone who watches a lot of juniors games I can’t help but feel that most of the blame is on this staff for not doing enough tonight.

Keys to the game:
1) Fantastic US D and transition game
2) Inability of Canadian coaching staff to counter the American gameplan
3) non-existent Candian D
4) John Gibson

POG’s:

Canada
Harrington. In reviewing my sheet and notes, I’m gonna go ahead and call this a horrendous choice. I have no clue why he was chosen. Danault or Rattie would have been my choice for Canada.

US
McCabe. Not a bad choice at all here. 3 pts, a heck of a defensive game and some fantastic passing. Others that would have been just as good IMO would have been: Jones or Trouba. Gaudreau would have been fine too, except that one penalty he took was bad.

Canada

Reilly, Oullet, Hamilton, Reinhart:---
Basically found myself playing a variation of Where’s Waldo with the Canadian D today…..then suddenly, I’d gasp after finding them…..and then the Americans would score again. Scary bad day for these 4.

Huberdeau.:--
Offensively toxic and the only Canadian at -4 on the day. Still trying to figure out why Canadian coaching staff moved him back to line with Scheiffele and RNH in the 3rd…..it almost seemed as if it was to quarantine them from affecting any other line’s potential production even if the PBP guys said it was to “kick start the lockout line”. HA.

RNH & Scheiffele: Both -
The US doubled RNH at the point in the offensive zone….RNH couldn’t dangle as a result and got frustrated. This pairing and whatever adjustments the Canadians made to switch things up for these two were ineffective, because RNH couldn’t create with 2 guys in his face all night and Scheiffele could not skate with the americans…..it’s telling when the biggest and most lumbering of American defensemen can out skate you. Americans stopped doubling RNH in the 3rd most of the time when Huberdeau was out with them....was it respect for Hub or knowing the damage was already done?

Funny side moment: I told a very tired PJ early in the game that this move of doubling RNH had him fustrated and making bad decisions, not as an american fan but as an observer....PJ responded with "HA" to which I imagine most canadians would have added a few obscenities, reminding me about who RNH is and then ignored me........

Subban: +
I’m sorry buddy, I know I didn’t think you should have made this team or played in this game, but this one isn’t on you at all. You controlled rebounds (mostly) and made some saves you needed to win this game, you just had nothing in terms of support.

Binnington:+
Like it or lump it, this kid came in and made some good saves. He had the benefit of a team that was playing better hockey in front of him, but if my twitter feed is any indicator, half of Canada is ignoring all of that and screaming for Subban’s head. He kept Canada within a period of Canadian magic for a while there. Canadians will be asking why he didn’t start in this tourney for years I fear.

Wotherspoon: +
Only Canadian D man who played legit D all game long. Sorry buddy, that had to suck to watch that unfold like that around you. Was voted POG by many on twitter tonight for Canada.

Danault & Rattie: Both ++
Victims of a coaching staff that got caught up in playing matchups that weren’t working. These guys both provided great PK defense and offense and yet they kept getting short shifted by coaches fiddling with lines in favor of significantly less productive players. Someone in the upper echelons of Team Canada is going to notice the ice time of these two and be rightfully outraged.

US

John Gibson: +
Very nice…again having a few moments where he had to be much better than the average goalie to keep the puck out of the net, but the Canadians didn’t really pose much of a threat tonight at all.

John Gaudreau: +
Took one stupid penalty, otherwise was a hobit on fire again. 3 point night

JT Miller: +
2 assists and did a fantastic job of controlling the puck in the offensive zone and providing pressure on the point at the defensive end. Great defensive effort led to Vesey goal in the 3rd.

Seth Jones, Jacob Trouba and Jake McCabe: +++
All three were in berserker mode all game. All played outstanding on both ends of the ice, particularly on the defensive end. I’d rank Jones 1st on D. Trouba 2nd and McCabe third…just flip those rankings for offense. If you don’t see why Jones is a top 3 pick in the upcoming draft after this game, I don’t quite know what to tell you.
Last edited by tomschepker on 2013-Jan-Thu-12-01, edited 5 times in total.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports Chat