The Following Breaks are Filling Now, Click the Links Below to Purchase your Spots.

2013 World Juniors

Anything regarding sports goes in here.

Re: 2013 World Juniors

Postby Moguai » 2012-Dec-Sun-06-12

USA / Canada

1 Word UGLY
Moguai

Postby Bluenoze87 » 2012-Dec-Sun-09-12

Moguai wrote:USA / Canada

1 Word UGLY

Thing of beauty! Woooohoooo!
My eBay page, if I have anything listed?!?! http://bit.ly/L4WqKq
Bluenoze87
643 Box Breaker

Postby teeks643 » 2012-Dec-Sun-04-12

The first two periods of Canada/U.S. was paint-dry boring.

3rd period was classic Canada/USA hockey. I had to laugh at Trouba taking it to Scheifele on two different occasions. Good for Subban having one heck of a game. I was definitely one of the ones disappointed that he was starting for us against Germany. He was outstanding today.
teeks643
Website Admin

Postby Moguai » 2012-Dec-Sun-08-12

UGLY: Several dives being taken to draw penalties from both teams, Sloppy play from mainly the USA but Canada wasn't looking all that pretty in the 3rd, officiating well its has been consistently bad through out the tourny.
Moguai

Postby teeks643 » 2012-Dec-Mon-02-12

I'm still waiting for TJ's synopsis of Canada/U.S. I've thoroughly enjoyed the others.
Last edited by teeks643 on 2012-Dec-Mon-02-12, edited 1 time in total.
teeks643
Website Admin

Postby Moguai » 2012-Dec-Mon-04-12

I think he broke his pencil and ate his notepad during the game ;)
Moguai

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Dec-Mon-01-12

Here's the delayed take on US-Canada....I went to bed right after this game and then got caught up in the day. I had 4 pages of notes on this game.....yikes.

Let me start by saying that I was very unimpressed by both teams in this game. Canada got too conservative after going up early by 2 goals and it nearly cost them. The US "hybrid" offense is a total joke IMO and should be abandoned immediately. The US "D" or shall I say "d" was attrocious-especially wonder spec Seth Jones. Todd was a good guy and chatted with me throughout this game-it was surprising how we saw many things the same in this game.

Again, the officiating was super dissapointing....this game started so promising....a nice couple of hits by both teams (players even seemed surprised) without a call and they let them play for a while......then the ticky-tack slashing calls started. A very dissapointing way to have a game called with 2 teams that prefer hockey and not basketball.

This game was a real let down for me. I was expecting (and needing) a high paced, hard hitting, traditional North American game....what I saw was 2 teams struggling after the first period to play within the confines of a european/international rule set. I'm a little angry that the Canadians didn't keep their foot on the gas and blow out the Americans as they should have, preferring to play a very conservative game in the 2nd and 3rd periods that nearly cost them.....the pairings and shift times seemed odd at the time and I think both Todd and I were thinking the Canadians were relying too heavily on their D that was struggling a bit later in the game.

Hindsight being 20-20, I can see from the Russia-Canada game today that instead of humiliating the US they chose to practice for the Russians.....some key elements that they could not execute in this game ended up being key components of a vicious transition game against Russia....but I'll cover that later...

POG's:

Canada
Todd and I voted for Subban though we both noted that while he made many excellent saves, he is still giving up "juicy" rebounds waiting to be capitalized on by a team who can actually put a body in front of the net. To me he also still looks sluggish and very slow to react at times....

US
Todd and I both voted for Trouba....Gibson won. I think we both had Gibson second in our voting (I definitely did). He was outstanding in this game given the fact that his "d" got smoked time and time again hanging him out to dry....then later in the game, the need for the US to press and bring D men like Trouba deep into teh offensive zone left him facing many odd man rushes.

Let's start with the good, shall we:

Canada

Drouin-Strome-Mackinnon: Best O-line for Canada, IMO. When the bleep hit the fan in the second, this line seemed to be the only one capable of going out and doing anything as a unit for Canada.

Subban: ++
Still not sold on him, but made some huge saves when it mattered. That's winning hockey there.....I mean after all, if you win gold nobody will care how you got there or the softies and rebounds you gave up. At the time, I had in my notes that those rebounds may come back to haunt him against Russia.

Strome: ++
Great 2-way play, really kick started his line.

Drouin: +
Wow. This kid is hustle. Everybody keeps talking about Mackinnon.....why isn't there more talk about this kid?

Huberdeau: +
I personally thought his play held the first line up for Canada above the "misery" line after the game went to 2-0.

RNH:-
Seemed to lose it after the first period.....US did a really good job of taking him away in this game and it showed when he took that dumb penalty in the 3rd. He was fustrated and it showed. World class scorers should never get caught up checking like that...no matter if there was a little bit of a dive component or not by Sieloff.

Scheiffele:--
knock, knock
who's there?
Not Scheiffele.
Finally get a legit game out of this guy and then he turns in maybe his worst performance of the tourney. Just about every shift he was slow, out of position and just not competing. Turned it around a little bit towards the end, but I'm tired of this guy cherry picking shots and not playing the rest of his shift. No offense to anyone who's a fan, but this guy would get benched here in Portland for playing that way and should be dropped from the first line.....not gonna happen, beccause we all know the political uproar that would cause.

USA

I'm gonna start off by saying as an American who is a hockey fan, the inability of this coaching staff to make an adjustment to get a goal by putting a body in front of the net until Trouba scored in the 3rd was embarrasing. This whole "hybrid" offense was a complete fail on this day and Canada seemed to need very little effort to keep an American team that was dominating chunks of the second and third periods restircted to sharp angle shots and weak opportunities. If it was not for 3 players individual efforts I feel this game could have easily been 8-0 for Canada.

Kuraly-Galchenyuk-Grimaldi:+
Late line change to bring in Grimaldi seemed good.....just didn't really produce points except for an assist by Galchenyuk to Trouba, a D man. They did play well IMO though together and Grimaldi with this line seemed better than when Barber was with this group. At times this line outhustled the Canadians, but were just not always "in sync" with each other.

Gaudreau-Miller-Barber:--
Why do I even care anymore about the hype? This line was all -2 for the game and played like they should have been -4 or -5. A late line shuffle before the game got Grimaldi off of this line in an effort to kick start some offense by putting him on the Galchenyuk line. I'm gonna go ahead and call JT MIller "toxic" offensively at this point. Barber had been playing decent to good before this game and was drug down into the muck by this line. I mean I could buy all the hype if they were thought to be some shut down d line or something....

Jones:---
Worst player on the Ice today by far. Was the only other -2 today for the US, talk about the quadruplet of fail......Out of position, missing assignments, hanging his goalie out to dry, misplaying pucks repeatedly and comically tripping over his own stick after a face off. Should have been handed a big can of STFU by both his teammates and the Canadians after this game and he deserved it. A total liability today and it showed. Key note: On huge US 5-3 PK in the 3rd, where was Jones when it mattered? On the bench.......yeah that's right where he belonged on this day.

Galchenyuk: +
My goodness can this kid play hockey.....a true AC/DC player. Canadians had to work to shut him down and mostly they did......but when you only have 2 apparent offensive threats on a team (trouba being the other) they had to work alot harder than they did to keep him from scoring than they should have.

Sieloff: +
Thank you soooooooo much for not playing as badly as you did in the prelim games. Additionally, if that was a dive in the third it was epically well played to draw that penalty....if not, even better.

Trouba: ++
What a Beast. More of an offensive D man than a shut down guy but just an incredible hockey player. Got in there and got in front of the net to score when it seemed like the Canadians had a force field in front of the net keeping them on the perimeter. Nobody else on the US was as good either offensively or defensively IMO.

Gibson:+++
"So let me see here, you mean to tell me you are gonna give up a bazillion odd man rushes, not play defense for me, ask me to stand on my head for 3 periods and still can't score for me? pffffft, I'm going back to Kitchener."

Can't believe this kid today. American D abandoned him, left him to die and eat about 8 sure goals if not more in this one and he held them to 2. This to me was this single best goaltending effort that I have seen in this tourney so far. These weren't the sharp angled and flat shots that Subban faced mind you, there was some wicked bleep that this kid turned aside today. Watching the replays, the Canadians knew it too.......nobody chirping Gibson, the only American who got a no-chirp pass in this one.
Last edited by tomschepker on 2012-Dec-Mon-01-12, edited 5 times in total.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Dec-Mon-02-12

Canada-Russia

As a starting point, I was super impressed with the Canadian ability to completely shut down Grigorenko and Yakupov (though Yakupov mostly shut himself down, again). The Canadians turned that boring defensive play from the US game into a spectacular transition oriented game against the Russians and it really showed in this one that they used the Americans to tune up for the Russians……for a coaching staff that I have not thought very much of, this was EXCELLENT execution of a plan.

The Russians are really not that great of a team as it turns out without Grigorenko…Yakupov is his own worst enemy and there should be a LED attached to his helmet that tells him to pass the puck. The Russians looked really out of sorts from a coaching perspective, they had trouble dealing with the Canadian D and transition game. They had trouble getting their lines out on the ice and they seemed to stop playing as units once they got down a couple of goals.

POG:

Drouin….not sure I agree here though he did have a pair of points and played fairly mistake free hockey. Brian voted for the Nuge with 3 points, can’t recall who Todd voted for off the top of my head and I voted for Jenner who later was given the cape.

MacKinnon:-
OK, you’re 17 and people won’t shut up about you. You might be a bit angry or frustrated that your pal Drouin made the first line and half of Canada disagrees with it and thinks it should be you……that being said, shut up and play hockey. Took 2 stupid penalties today and played like a spoiled rotten kid who just had their toys taken away at times.

Scheiffele:-
Again we ask ourselves, which Scheiffele will show up today? The answer to start was “good Scheiffele”…..he got to the net, posted up, got a goal, played D….did well, until he didn’t and then he ran out of gas for a bit and played terrible for awhile. He recovered a bit towards the end but I can’t help but feel that pulling Huberdeau off this line and not him is purely political….stated goal of creating more scoring depth or not.

Rattie: EVEN, but notable.
Ok, I love this kid in Portland and I know he’s being played outside of his role as a sniper/playmaker on this team AND I feel badly for him that he just gets shuffled around all over whatever line the coaching staff wants. That being said….you have to put home that one-timer, just have to. Additionally, I loved that hit he put on Yarullin….not part of his normal game. Have to give him credit for filling the utility role on this team without it costing them.

Lipon: +
Gets this for really great PK work and not losing it when he got speared behind the play twice today. Hard to see it IMO, but the Russians wanted to get a reaction out of him…..badly.

Wotherspoon: +
Skate to the face? CFB major? No problem, 7 stitches later and Tspoon had himself a solid defensive game.

Hamilton: +
Nice PP goal, nice overall play….again seems to have really turned around his play form the pre tourney games (thankfully).

Subban: +
I’ll give him this, he is out of the net too much and looks out of position and slow to react often but he again made the saves that he should have made and a few extra as well. It’s winning hockey regardless of how bad it looks at times. The goal he gave up can’t be blamed on him, that’s entirely on Schieffele.

Drouin: ++
Welcome to the first line kid, here have 2 points, POG and a whole bleep ton of media and scouting attention after this. Dare I say he is a better spec than Mackinnon? Yes I do. Ooooo, I did just say that.

The Nuge:++
3 point day for the Nuge. “Yawn” says the Nuge, "I was bored and didn’t want to hear about that scrub Scheiffele and his 5 point game last year anymore so I decided to feed the kid Drouin one". Minus the US game, I am gaining more respect for RNH…..really well played game IMO.

Jenner: +++
I’m gonna have to rewatch this game and confirm my counts but I have this kid winning every faceoff he drew except one (amazing IMO)…..there was a Russian kid that won every faceoff he took except against Jenner and the Russians were flipping lines to get him as many faceoffs as possible. Jenner played what in my mind was the most complete game I have seen by a player in this game… A real shame IMO that he couldn’t get a shot home after all his hard work……kudos for turning that pre-tourney play around and overcoming the suspension.
Last edited by tomschepker on 2012-Dec-Mon-02-12, edited 2 times in total.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby shanedawg2k12 » 2012-Dec-Mon-04-12

I nominate Boone Jenner to be hereby known as "here comes the Boone" in all future breaks. :)
shanedawg2k12

Postby Bluenoze87 » 2012-Dec-Mon-07-12

TJ you must have some kid of freaky-deaky digital encoding memory, all I know is Canada won and Drouin deserves to be on the first line, that kid is talented! MacKinnon played like he was pissed off that he's not getting the offensive opportunity to shine and I know from watching him that with the opportunity he would shine! Ah well, Canada-Russia final and a 4-2 win for Canada.
My eBay page, if I have anything listed?!?! http://bit.ly/L4WqKq
Bluenoze87
643 Box Breaker

PreviousNext

Return to General Sports Chat