The Following Breaks are Filling Now, Click the Links Below to Purchase your Spots.

2013 World Juniors

Anything regarding sports goes in here.

Re: 2013 World Juniors

Postby Golfnut77777 » 2013-Jan-Thu-01-01

I really hate to say this Tj, but I think you were blinded by the light on a lot of this game. The light being the score that US had on the board or the goose egg Canada had on the score board for the most part of the game (and essentially, because of a way too early whistle, should have ended with a goose egg).

As for US players, I can't believe you didn't say a single thing about Grimaldi. That boy was the spark plug for a lot of the offense IMO. His points may not say it, but every time he got his hands on the puck, he was moving quick and making plays. I was very surprised when he didn't get POG and even more surprised that you didn't mention a thing about him.

As for Canada, I do agree with you about 25% on Subban and the goals that were allowed and him being screened. 25% being the first goal only. On the second goal, he had 1 defenseman in front of him. I don't know how that is being screened. When Binnington came into the game, one of the first shots he saved, he had 3 different people in front of him and he did what a good goaltender does. He looked around and underneath the players to see where the pucks was and made the save. I think Binnington's play will not be forgotten and also think this is why Subban is going to be crucified for his play. I tend to think of how most NHL teams play with loading their own players in front of the net and those goaltenders are able to locate and save the puck. Think the past Stanley Cup Champions. LA was great at putting their own players in front of the net to block shots and Quick was great at being able to locate the puck and stop it. I know, I know. I am comparing a top caliber goaltender in the NHL to a Juniors goalie, but from what I can remember of NHL goaltending (it has been over 6 months since I have watched NHL so I may have forgotten), most of the goalies can make most of those saves WITHOUT throwing their hands in the air while the puck is going by them.

Subban's play reminds me of a goalie that I played with when I was a kid. At first the coaches agreed with the goalie in that people should not get in front of the shot and let the goalie make the save. Eventually, the coaches realized that the goalie himself was not making an effort to see the puck and that is why the pucks were going in. IMO, it wouldn't have mattered if Canada was screening Subban or if US was screening him, he didn't make any effort to see the puck behind the first screen and subsequently, when the puck got passed him, all he could do was throw his arms in the air and blame the defense for screening him. This goes into play with what your assessment of the Canadian coaches were not able to do. They were not able to adapt to the play of the US and therefore lost this game in a major fashion. Same with Subban. He did not adjust to the play of the game and therefore too many goals were scored because he was screened.

As for the 4th goal, the player who scored came down the wing and had 50% of the net to shoot at. If Subban is not on the goal line, then less of the net is visible to this player and most likely this puck does not go in the net. All Subban had to do was move 2 to 3 feet out of the net to cut off the angle. This is something 90% of the goalies in the NHL would have done.

As for other players on Canada, I hate to say this but I don't think there was a single player that deserved a player of the game award. I think they played like spoiled brats and not a single player made the adjustment needed to make their team better. I didn't hear Wotherspoon's name till the 3rd period. This may be a good thing as the first two periods were right offs for everyone and not hearing his name may be because he didn't screw anything up. Danault and Rattie are victims of play throughout the tournament. They didn't get the ice time in the "big push" at the end because they didn't have a big push at the beginning/middle of the tournament. It is the same thing that happens with NHL clubs. If the top 2 lines are what does the scoring all year long, then those are the 2 lines that are depended upon to put a "big push" at the end of a game when their team is down. Danault I believe also took a very stupid penalty in the middle of the third that hurt Canada's comeback chances huge. I may have the wrong person, but I do think it was Danault.

I do believe your assessment of all three Portland players (Wotherspoon, Rattie and Jones) may be a little bit of a case of favortism. In no way shape or form to I think Jones out played Trouba or McCabe. I will say, Jones played a great game, but again, Trouba and McCabe were amazing in this game with the transition game, their pushes up the ice to make odd man advantages and their defensive play in their own end. Going back to my earlier comment, if Grimaldi didn't get player of the game, McCabe or Trouba would have been my next picks. Gibson would have been forth. A few other players would have been 5, 6, 7th and then maybe Jones. Please don't take this as me coming down on a kid that was cocky before the first USvsCanada game. I watched his play today with a want to see him as a player without pre-judging him. He played a great game. So did about 10 other Americans.

All in all, I do agree with your assessment of the Canadian game with the exceptions of what I mentioned above. Canada was not ready for this game, was not willing to change their game plan, and did not adjust when they needed. I do however believe that this was the fast paced game you were looking for in the previous meeting between these two teams and your pre-tournament assessment of the speed of the Americans was spot on. They were faster, smarter, stronger on the puck, and adapted well to the Canadian game and essentially, this is what won the game for the Americans.

I said it once and will say it again, GO USA GO!

Lastly, at least I had the final four teams right and I also had the match ups correct too, just not the positions. New predictions:

Gold - USA
Silver - Sweden
Bronze - Russia
4th - Canada

The train is off the rails for Canada and they will look at Russia's last 2 games and think that this the same team they are going to face. Russians will come out guns a blazing and Canada again will not be able to adapt.

Americans will play the same run and gun style to beat the slower Swedish players and again win pretty easily.

Remember everyone, these are my opinions. In no way shape or form do I know all the answers nor do I think I am a professional scout nor do I think I could do better then any of these kids that are playing on the ice. Remember that, they are just kids and they have tons of growing and improving to do.
Last edited by Golfnut77777 on 2013-Jan-Thu-01-01, edited 1 time in total.
My Photo Bucket

My Twitter: @Golfnut77777
MY EBAY
Golfnut77777

Postby tomschepker » 2013-Jan-Thu-04-01

Yeah Todd, Grimaldi was not mentioned [tom edit: perhaps this is mostly because I have his and gostibehere's notes on top of each other, this is probably a direct result of what you were talkign about.....there were about 10 players on the US that had excellent games.]

As for Wotherspoon, his big negative moment of this game was being part of the double screen in front of Subban on the first goal....after that you don't hear his name called because he isn't a liability, which is more than can be said about any of the other Canadian D men.

Rattie and Danault did the one thing defensively all game that the Canadians did correctly and they did it on the PK. They pushed out on the point, creating pressure that the US couldnt handle on more than one PK. Pushing out on the point and keeping the US out of the middle was the single most effective thing the Canadians did on D against the Americans in the first game.

Again all of this is personal opinion...I'm certainly no scout either.....even though some of you guys heckle me for going ot the detail I do.
Last edited by tomschepker on 2013-Jan-Thu-07-01, edited 3 times in total.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Moguai » 2013-Jan-Thu-06-01

I only watched the 3rd period last night but I would have to give Gibson at least a ++ myself. That boy was a monster in the net. When Canada did get scoring chances he was all over that puck, catching them, controlling the rebounds, or just knocking them into the corners. I was really surprised to see the score at 4-0 when I started to watch, but it didn't take long to see the USA was just dominating the game. The game was very enjoyable to watch with the high pace and lottsa action. Being American I want to see the USA win of course, but all I really wanted was a good showing by us and the Trophy to come back to North America either with us or Canada.

GO USA
Moguai

Postby Shawn198977 » 2013-Jan-Thu-08-01

Shawn198977 wrote:Gold: Sweden
Silver: Canada
Bronze: Russia
4th : USA

I got final 4 teams right just never expected Canada to lose against US. WOW is all I can say.
Shawn198977

Postby tomschepker » 2013-Jan-Sat-07-01

Canada-Russia for Bronze.

Well lets see here....Canadians got Binnington in net and I think most thought this would help, I mean after all Subban played ttttttteeerrrriiiibbbbllllee. Well regardles of the outcome, I preferred Subban to Binnington tonight...Binnington looked asleep, IMO.

I'll skip all the usual shenanigans and just say this...to me this was a crazy and exciting game that really didn't start until Binnington got pulled. I enjoyed this game and I wish a few more would have lasted to see the rest of this game....but to me, this was well worth staying up for and definitely worth watching a replay of.

The 1st line Canadian PP was insane, they got the Canadians back in the game after some gritty work by the third line getting control of the puck in 5 on 5 play and drawing penalties. IMO, these 2 units really stand out to me from tonight and deserve recognition.

In the end though after everything else this game IMO came down to yet one more critical coaching decision fail. To me, to put Murphy out in OT who is a defensive liability on D was just begging to have what happened occur. Murphy gets beat, game over. Personally, if they would have waited until very late in the OT it comes off as a brilliant move....the way it was though leaves me wondering. Canada had last change because they were the "home" team, so you have to figure they saw something they wanted to exploit but I just don't get that decision in a 4 on 4 situation at that time....maybe its just me though.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby tomschepker » 2013-Jan-Sat-10-01

US-Sweden for Gold.

A few sleep deprived words here and that's all from me.....

John Gibson, John Gibson, Rocco Grimaldi, Jacob Trouba, Jake McCabe.....but really now: John Gibson, John Gibson, John Gibson. Wow.

Give credit for Housley and staff for pulling the right strings when needed....whatever they did in talking to Grimaldi when they benched him worked wonders, the ability to totally retool that pathetic "hybrid" offense after the Canadian loss and two games in a row where they could only score a single goal....fantastic. Sure any decent coach could have done these things, but he did it and won in crunch time with half of American fans against him being chosen as coach in the first place.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Moguai » 2013-Jan-Sat-02-01

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

So here is the Finial Standings

1. USA
2. Sweden
3. Russia

AND the winner of the $10 Bid credit for predicting the correct order: Nobody got it Right :(

Since no one got it correct I figure whoever got 2 places right would win and that winner is: Nobody :(

I really want to Give the bidding credit away so Whoever got the 3 teams right regardless of the Order and the winner is: Nobody :(

If you think you Won or have a suggestion to who should Win the Bidding credit post your suggestion/argument below and I will make a decision in a couple days on who wins the Credit. I really want to give it away.
Last edited by Moguai on 2013-Jan-Sat-02-01, edited 2 times in total.
Moguai

Postby Golfnut77777 » 2013-Jan-Sat-04-01

Well, I got it right on my second try!
My Photo Bucket

MY EBAY
Golfnut77777

Postby Moguai » 2013-Jan-Sat-05-01

Actually I would say it was your 3rd try your 2nd you tried to predict the QF. I which you blew ;)

My predictions for QF's:

Canada 4 US 2
Russia 5 Sweden 2

Setting up the Canada/Russia Final. I hope Russia actually plays to their potential for once this tournament. I think they have relied on "home field" advantage too much and today's game was a wake up call to them IMO.

I will take your suggestion to heart Todd.
Moguai

Postby Golfnut77777 » 2013-Jan-Sat-08-01

Moguai wrote:Actually I would say it was your 3rd try your 2nd you tried to predict the QF. I which you blew ;)

My predictions for QF's:

Canada 4 US 2
Russia 5 Sweden 2

Setting up the Canada/Russia Final. I hope Russia actually plays to their potential for once this tournament. I think they have relied on "home field" advantage too much and today's game was a wake up call to them IMO.

I will take your suggestion to heart Todd.

Alright, I see where you are going with this, although, my second try wasn't a prediction of the medals, just the scores that I thought would happen. Honestly, no one was even close so my true suggestion is for you to give the $10 bidding credit away as a bonus during your next break. I think that would be the most honorable way to do it.
My Photo Bucket

MY EBAY
Golfnut77777

Previous

Return to General Sports Chat