The Following Breaks are Filling Now, Click the Links Below to Purchase your Spots.

Green Bay vs. Seahawks

Gentlemanly discussions about Football

So who caught the hail mary pass in the 9/24/12 MNF game?

Poll ended at 2012-Oct-Fri-04-10

Green Bay caught that ball no Question about it !!!!
83%
Seahawks Caught it so stop crying Green Bay !!!
8%
It was a Simultaneous Catch so the passing team gets it good call Refs.
8%

Total votes : 12

Re: Green Bay vs. Seahawks

Postby teeks643 » 2012-Sep-Tue-05-09

Yes, by the time they hit the ground the Seattle receive has his hands around it, but the Packers defender clearly had possession of the ball first. The rule states that if there is simultaneous possession then the ball goes to the throwing team. In this case the Packers had possession of the ball before the Seahawks.

As far as batting the ball down instead of trying to secure an interception goes, I disagree. Going for a knockdown leaves the door open for the batted ball ending up in the arms of a receiver before it hits the ground. It's happened before.
teeks643
Website Admin

Postby Moguai » 2012-Sep-Tue-05-09

Sure but he coulda batted it up and into the stands, no battled ball.
Moguai

Postby Moguai » 2012-Sep-Tue-06-09

vaughgeran wrote:Mogs, that is what I have been saying all day. I was taught since I was in Junior High School to not catch the ball... make sure that nobody catches it. KNOCK IT DOWN! Had the Packers done what they have been taught to do, we would not be having any discussion or have any knowledge of the name Lance Easley today.

I really feel sorry for the guy.

Yea I kinda feel sorry for him to, But even after reviewing the play he still got it way wrong so me feeling sorry for him only goes so far.
Moguai

Postby Shawn198977 » 2012-Sep-Tue-07-09

Well, there was the offensive pass interference just prior to catch so it shouldn't have mattered who caught it.

But the rule states that until his feet both land, it is not a catch. And by the time his feet are down the Seattle player has his hands on ball too(Simultaneous catch). Yeah, if you slow it down - Jennings does catch it first but again... not interception until his feet come down. Had Tate not had his hands around ball, it would have been an interception. Sorry GB.
Shawn198977

Postby tomschepker » 2012-Sep-Tue-08-09

teeks643 wrote:Yes, by the time they hit the ground the Seattle receive has his hands around it, but the Packers defender clearly had possession of the ball first. The rule states that if there is simultaneous possession then the ball goes to the throwing team. In this case the Packers had possession of the ball before the Seahawks.

The problem is how possesion is defined in this case, because Jennings brings the ball into his chest with both arms around it before they hit the ground and has "complete" posession before Tate has both arms around it, there should be no silmultaneous posession discussion as has been pointed out ad nauseum on many TV and radio talk shows today. It's a really hard rule to interpret at game speed and those refs aren't used to working in games at NFL speed (also as has been mentioned just about everywhere today). In a way you gotta feel bad for the replacements, they're easy targets given their average level of experience, but the ref should have called the back judge and side judge together before anyone signaled anythign there.

Leading up to that play and in general throughout the season so far, pass interference has been so inconsistently called that really whether they missed the call against Tate for that there or not, they clearly made horrendous calls and missed others throughout this game, especially in teh 4th quarter.

Sad part about this.....as enthusiastic as I was last night that this would FINALLY promote a quick end to the strike, it doesn't look like the league cares.

*EDIT*....and yes, what the heck was he doing trying to intercept that ball?!?!?!?!
Last edited by tomschepker on 2012-Sep-Tue-08-09, edited 1 time in total.
tomschepker
643 Box Breaker

Postby Bluenoze87 » 2012-Sep-Tue-10-09

tomschepker wrote:
teeks643 wrote:Yes, by the time they hit the ground the Seattle receive has his hands around it, but the Packers defender clearly had possession of the ball first. The rule states that if there is simultaneous possession then the ball goes to the throwing team. In this case the Packers had possession of the ball before the Seahawks.

*EDIT*....and yes, what the heck was he doing trying to intercept that ball?!?!?!?!

My thoughts exactly, bat that thing away!
My eBay page, if I have anything listed?!?! http://bit.ly/L4WqKq
Bluenoze87
643 Box Breaker

Postby Moguai » 2012-Sep-Thu-03-09

Well we got Real Refs back for Thurs. football !!!! :nanner :nanner :nanner :nanner :nanner
Moguai

Previous

Return to Football Talk